Crossfit in a ‘nutshell’:
· a core strength and conditioning program
· crossfit is NOT a specialized fitness program but a deliberate attempt to optimize physical competence in ten recognized fitness domains: Cardiovascular & Respiratory endurance, Stamina, Strength, Flexibility, Power, Speed, Coordination, Agility, Balance and Accuracy.
· Crossfit programming consists of 3 modalities:
- Metabolic conditioning (cardio): participants (athletes) are trained to bike, run, row, etc at short, middle and long distances.
- Gymnastics: from simple to advanced movements, enabling us to obtain greater capacity at controlling the body both dynamically and statically, while maximizing strength to weight ratio and flexibility.
- Olympic Weightlifting: to develop explosive power, control of external objects, and mastery of critical motor recruitment patterns.
Crossfit is effective:
Does this sound familiar to you? You walk into the gym, climb on a bike for 30-45 minutes and follow this up with dumbbell bicep curls, a few leg extensions and leg curls, shoulder presses on the machine and some sit-ups . . . this workout totaling about an hour and 15 minutes. You come in 3 times a week and do the same routine day in and day out . . . Does this sound like your program? Or, maybe you come into the gym and spend 60 minutes on the elliptical without any strength training at all!
In gyms and health clubs throughout the world, this is the typical workout: isolation movements and extended aerobic sessions. The fitness community has the exercising public believe that this type of training will lead you to some kind of great fitness!!! IT WILL NOT!!!!
The crossfit strategy works exclusively with compound movements (multiple muscles working together to accomplish a task) and shorter high intensity cardio sessions. We’ve replaced the lateral raise with push-ups, the bicep curl with pull-ups, the leg extension with squats. Here’s why:
Because compound or functional movements and high intensity cardio is radically MORE effective at delivering nearly any desired fitness result. This is NOT a matter of opinion, but scientific fact . . .
I have been immersed in fitness since high school (way too many years to count), obtaining my Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science and continue to live my life sharing my knowledge with others and exploring my personal fitness goals. For many years, I was a slave to the prescribed fitness routine: 60 minutes of cardio and a strength training routine that consisted of an exercise for each major muscle group. Now, don’t get me wrong . . . of course I was strong, had muscle definition and considered myself ‘fit’ (at least in my book). But, I had nothing to compare myself with until I gave in . . . committed myself to the crossfit program and let this program do it’s thing!
What I’ve noticed since training with crossfit:
I now have POWER behind my strength. My paddling (as I am a professional whitewater kayaker) is stronger and my paddling endurance is greater. I workout in LESS time than ever before and I’m stronger than ever before! And, my mental strength and focus has improved, which allows me to try new things and gives me the confidence I need in my sport.
Here's what you have to do:
YOU have to commit . . . and, crossfit will do the rest! We can show you how to begin at Crossfit Mt. Adams. EVERY exercise we will EVER do can be modified to ANY fitness level.