"I need a day off, I have to give my muscles a day or so to recover!"How many times have we heard this? Or, maybe said it ourselves? Well, your muscles actually recover fairly quickly, it's the rest of the body that doesn't.
"It's not JUST your muscles that need to rest and recovery. It’s your entire body as a whole. From your joints, to your tendons, to your central nervous system."
If you’re wondering if you are currently under-recovering, here are the most common signs:
- You get sick and/or catch colds more often than usual.
- You feel tired and run down all the time.
- You are losing motivation (or interest) in working out.
- You’re experiencing occasional muscle and eyelid twitches.
- You’re having trouble falling asleep, staying asleep and/or your overall sleep quality has just gone to crap in general.
- Instead of getting easier, your workouts are getting harder.
- And most important of all, you are making NO progress and getting NO results for an extended period of time (no new strength, no new muscle, no new anything). In some really bad cases, it’s also pretty common to notice that you are actually LOSING strength and/or muscle
~ Coach Heather